These cupcakes are so good you will want to eat more than one, but they are very rich. They are great for picnics!
- 4 ounces Bakers German Sweet Chocolate
- 1 cup (2 sticks, 8 ounces, 1⁄2 pound) salted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 and 2⁄3 cups white (granulated) sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (pack it down in the cup when you measure it)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Break the squares of Bakers Sweet German Chocolate in half. (They’ll melt faster that way.)
- Cut each stick of butter into 4 pieces. (They’ll melt faster that way.)
- Place the chocolate and the butter in a microwave safe container. Place the chocolate and the butter in a microwave safe container. Microwave it on HIGH for one minute. Wait for one minute and then stir to see if the chocolate has melted.
- If the chocolate has not completely melted, microwave the butter and chocolate for an additional 30 seconds. Wait a minute and then stir. Repeat if necessary. Set the chocolate/butter mixture aside on the counter or on a cold stove burner to cool to room temperature.
- Hannah’s 2nd Note: You can also do this in a small saucepan over low heat on the stovetop if you wish.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 large egg, beaten (just whip it up in a glass with a fork)
- 1⁄3 cup white (granulated) sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli’s)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (measure after chopping)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Hannah’s 1st Note: There is no frosting on these cupcakes. (It would be overkill!) But some people might miss the coconut that is found in the traditional German Chocolate Cake. If you miss the coconut flavor, add the coconut extract to the filling. If you don’t, don’t.
Directions for the Filling:
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg, and white sugar together until they are smooth and creamy. Add the coconut extract, if you decided to use it, and mix it in thoroughly.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, pecans, and salt.
- Set the bowl aside on the counter while you make the cupcake batter.
Directions for the Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F., rack in the middle position.
- Either spray two 12-cup muffin tins with Pam or another nonstick cooking spray, OR line the cups with cupcake papers.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until they are light colored and fluffy.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat it in thoroughly.
- Mix in the flour, baking soda, and then the vanilla extract.
- Feel the container with the chocolate/butter mixture. If the mixture is not so hot it might cook the eggs, add it gradually to the batter, beating continuously.
- Take the bowl from the mixer, give it a final stir by hand, and find a scooper or a spoon to use to fill the muffin tins. (Lisa and I use a #2 scooper down at The Cookie Jar.)
- Fill the muffin tins 3/4 full.
Drop a rounded teaspoon of the filling into the center of each cupcake.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Take the pans from the oven and let the cupcakes cool on a wire rack or a cold stovetop burner. Do not remove the cupcakes until they are completely cool.
Yield: 20 to 24 yummy cupcakes that everyone will love.